noun / ~の noun / adverbial noun / suffix noun:
- above; up; over; elder (e.g. daughter)
- top; summit
- surface; on
- before; previous
- superiority; one's superior (i.e. one's elder)
- on top of that; besides; what's more
- upon (further inspection, etc.); based on (and occurring after)
- matters concerning...; as concerns ...
- since (i.e. "for that reason") - as ...上は
- suffix indicating higher social standing - honorific language ➜ 父上
- place of one's superior (i.e. the throne) - archaism
- emperor; sovereign; shogun; daimyo - archaism
- noblewoman (esp. the wife of a nobleman) - archaism
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.