Showing results 51-75:
- -ness - nominalizing suffix indicating degree or condition
- indicates assertion - sentence end, mainly masc.
- come; come now ➜ さあ
- adds force or indicates command - used at sentence end - male language
suffix / particle:
- a mere (status or characteristic); implies activity unsuited to (status or characteristic)
- interrogative sentence-ending particle expressing doubt
particle / conjunction:
- (at the end of a phrase) notes one (of several) reasons
- you said; he said; she said; they said - casual quoting particle ➜ と
- if ... then - indicates supposition
- do you seriously think that - as かって; indicates a satirical or rhetorical question
- I already told you; you should know by now that; of course - indicates certainty, insistence, emphasis, etc.
- the said ... - abbr. of という
- says that ... - abbr. of と言っている
- I hear that ... - abbr. of と聞いている
- as for the term ... - abbr. of とは, というのは
- as for ... - equiv. of は topic marker
- is it?; isn't it? - marks wh-question (what, where, who) - familiar language
- be; is - strengthens one's judgment or conclusion - children's language
- eh?; what?; oh?
- yes; that's correct ➜ はい
- though; notwithstanding; although
particle / conjunction:
- although (it is a certain time or something is in a certain condition)
- not only ➜ 許りでなく
- even if; even though - also だって
- however; no matter how - also ったって
- indicates reason or excuse - used as a conjunction or at sentence-end, often as 〜ものな, 〜ものね
- indicates dissatisfaction; indicates desire to be pampered or indulged - at sentence-end - female language
- I can tell you - used at sentence end; adds light force or emphasis to a sentence - male language - familiar language
- heh - at sentence end; used to make a sentence threating or ironic - male language
particle / suffix:
- denotes uncertainty ➜ とやら
- such things as A and B; A and B and so on; A and B and the like; A and B and whatnot - as ＡやらＢやら...
- on the same occasion; at the same time; coincidentally; along with; partly (to do, for)
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.