- 迫る★【せまる・せるobs.】逼る【せまる】 Inflection
godan ~る verb / intransitive verb:
- to approach; to draw near; to be imminent
godan ~る verb / transitive:
- to press (someone for something); to urge; to compel
顕微鏡を使って、さらに一層、物質の核心近くまで迫ることはあるだろうが、微生物学でさえ、客観的なものであり、対象と観察者との間にスペースを置くことによって知識を拡大していくのである。 There may be microscopes involved, bringing us ever closer to the heart of the matter; but even microbiology is objective, adding to knowledge by putting space between an object and its observer.
- せる・させる Inflection
auxiliary verb / ichidan verb:
- auxiliary verb indicating the causative - せる is for 五段 verbs, させる for 一段; follows the imperfective form of (v5) and (vs) verbs; senses 1-3 of せる are sometimes abbreviated as 〜す
- auxiliary verb indicating that one has been granted the permission to do something - usu. as 〜(さ)せてもらう, 〜(さ)せていただく, etc. - humble language
- auxiliary verb used as an honorific for others' actions - as 〜(さ)せられる, 〜あら(さ)せられる, 〜(さ)せ給う, etc. - honorific language
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.
We're trying to keep Tangorin free and ad-free. If you like this dictionary, help us out with a donation so we can keep making it better.Donate