- indicates location of action; at; in - にて is the formal literary form
- indicates time of action
- indicates means of action; cause of effect; by
- and then; so
- indicates continuing action ［で］ - alternate form of 〜て used for some verb types ➜ て
- indicates certainty, emphasis, etc. ［で］ - at sentence-end - Kansai dialect ➜ よ
conjunction / interjection:
- then; well; so; well then ➜ それでは
- but; however; though; nevertheless; still; yet; even so; also; as well
- however; no matter how; even if; even though
- ... or something
- either ... or ...; neither ... nor ... - as 〜でも〜でも
- pseudo-; quack; in-name-only - before an occupation, etc.
- for lack of anything better to do - before an occupation, etc. ➜ でもしか
- so; therefore ➜ だから
- but; however; (and) yet; nevertheless; still; for all that
- even if
- (it doesn't matter) whether (A or B or ...); whatever
- should - imperative form of である
expression / conjunction:
- if it is the case that ...
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.
We're trying to keep Tangorin free and ad-free. If you like this dictionary, help us out with a donation so we can keep making it better.Donate