Classical Japanese Dictionary
Classical Japanese dictionary with nouns, verbs, auxiliary verbs and particles.
Notice: This glossary consists of only 633 entries.
- Search with English, Japanese, hiragana, katakana, rōmaji, or kanji.
- Look up verbs with their conjugated forms. e.g. bere.
- Bundle words in double quotation marks to find entries which contain the words in the exact specified order. e.g. "to make do". Quotation marks work with English only. Use them to get more accurate results if your query is an English word or phrase that can also be transcribed into kana.
- Use wildcards: * (asterisk) for zero or more characters and _ (underscore) for exactly one character. Wildcards work only on Japanese words and phrases but you can use them with rōmaji.
Note: If used with rōmaji, one _ (underscore) equals one kana or kanji character, not one latin letter.
- Use Revised Hepburn romanization system when searching with romanized Japanese. With the exception of long vowels which can be noted either with a macron or by doubled vowels.
© Classical Japanese by Glenn Rosenthal.