Proper Names Dictionary
Japanese proper names dictionary with places, products, companies, famous people, organizations, railway stations, surnames, and given names. Over 731,000 entries.
- Search with English, Japanese, hiragana, katakana, rōmaji, or kanji.
- Find famous or historic Western and Japanese names, places, products, organizations. e.g. Marlon Brando, Miyazaki Hayao, Harajuku, アップル, F.C. Tokyo, etc..
- Bundle words in double quotation marks to find entries which contain the words in the exact specified order. e.g. "to make do". Quotation marks work with English only. Use them to get more accurate results if your query is an English word or phrase that can also be transcribed into kana.
- Use wildcards: * (asterisk) for zero or more characters and _ (underscore) for exactly one character. Wildcards work only on Japanese words and phrases but you can use them with rōmaji.
Note: If used with rōmaji, one _ (underscore) equals one kana or kanji character, not one latin letter.
- Use Revised Hepburn romanization system when searching with romanized Japanese. With the exception of long vowels which can be noted either with a macron or by doubled vowels.
Use tags to narrow your search results to specific type. Search with tags only to get the full list of entries containing selected tags.
© JMnedict — property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence.
Support the WWWJDIC project by donating.