- master (of a house, shop, etc.)
- husband (informal)
- sir; boss; master; governor; word used to address a male patron, customer, or person of high status
- patron of a mistress, geisha, bar or nightclub hostess; sugar daddy ➜ パトロン
- alms; almsgiving; almsgiver - orig. meaning; usu. written as 檀那 - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "dāna" ➜ 檀越・檀家
- Gautama Buddha; Shakyamuni; the historical Buddha (5th c. BCE?) - From Sanskrit "Śākya"
adverbial noun / temporal noun:
- moment; instant - From Sanskrit "kṣaṇa"
- kshana; duration of a single mental event (about 1/75 second); shortest possible interval of time - orig. meaning - Buddhism term
- yoga - From Sanskrit
- samadhi (state of intense concentration achieved through meditation) ［さんまい］ - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit
- being immersed in; being absorbed in; indulging in; doing to one's heart's content - usu. ざんまい
- prone to; apt to - usu. ざんまい
- prajna; wisdom required to attain enlightenment - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "prajñā"
- noh mask of a grinning, horned demoness (represents a woman's rage and jealousy) ➜ 般若面【はんにゃめん】
- family crest designed after the Hannya noh mask
- dreadful face (esp. of a woman driven mad by jealousy); terrifying facial expression - abbreviation ➜ 般若面【はんにゃづら】
- yaksha (Buddhist guardian deities sometimes depicted as demonic warriors) - From Sanskrit "yaksa"
- Om; Aun; syllable representing the primordial trinity of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma - From Sanskrit
- inspiration and expiration; respiration; alpha and omega
- Naraka; hell; hades - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "naraka"
- very bottom; the end; worst possible circumstances
- theatre basement; theater basement ［奈落］
noun / ~の noun:
- Brahman (priest of Hinduism, members of the highest caste) - From Sanskrit "brahmana"
- Brahmanism; priest of Brahmanism
- a number so great it can never be counted to - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "asamkhya"
- 10^56 (or 10^64)
- an extremely great number (often said to be 100 million) - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "nayuta"
- 10^60 (or 10^72)
- Gautama Buddha; Shakyamuni; the historical Buddha (5th c. BCE?) - From Sanskrit "Śākyamuni"
- Upanishad (sacred Hindu treatises) - From Sanskrit "Upanisad"
- Brahman; Brahma; ultimate reality of the universe (in Hinduism) - From Sanskrit ➜ アートマン
- probationary nun (undergoing a two-year probationary period before receiving ordainment) - From Sanskrit "siksamana"
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.
We're trying to keep Tangorin free and ad-free. If you like this dictionary, help us out with a donation so we can keep making it better.Donate