- being besieged by suitors; to be popular; eight suitors for one daughter [literal] - idiom
- daughter - honorific language
- girl; young (unmarried) woman - archaism
- (grown) woman; lady ［じょうし］
- (someone else's) wife ［じょうし］
- treating somebody as one's own daughter; someone who is treated as a daughter
- woman who manages geisha (Edo period) - archaism
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.