- large building; building with a long roof
suffix / counter:
- counter for buildings, apartments, etc.
- 木 tree
- 동 [dong]
- Example words:
- ridge (of roof); / back of a sword; / counter for buildings, apartments, etc.
- (hospital) ward
- separate building; outbuilding; outhouse
- central figure; pillar (e.g. of the nation); mainstay; chief support; leader; / chief; boss; leader; head; / master carpenter; / beams and ridge supports of a roof
- raising the ridgepole
- central figure; pillar (e.g. of the nation); mainstay; chief support; leader
- chief; boss; leader; head
- master carpenter
- beams and ridge supports of a roof - orig. meaning
- sign staked to a building's ridgepole at construction time stating the building's donor, builder, date, reason for construction, etc.
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.