- master (of a house, shop, etc.)
- husband (informal)
- sir; boss; master; governor; word used to address a male patron, customer, or person of high status
- patron of a mistress, geisha, bar or nightclub hostess; sugar daddy ➜ パトロン
- alms; almsgiving; almsgiver - orig. meaning; usu. written as 檀那 - Buddhism term - From Sanskrit "dāna" ➜ 檀越・檀家
- decorative portable shrine; float used in festivals - not often used in Kyoto - Kansai dialect ➜ 山車【だし】
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.