- Example words:
- speech; tongue; talk; eloquence; / dialect; brogue; accent; / bento; Japanese box lunch; / petal; / valve; / Oversight Department; division of the daijokan under the ritsuryo system responsible for controlling central and provincial governmental offices
- explanation (e.g. for one's actions); excuse; justification; defense; defence
- speaking by proxy; speaking for (someone else); acting as spokesman (for); representing (the views, feelings, etc. of); / payment by proxy; compensation by proxy; paying on behalf (of); / acting for (someone else); carrying out (on someone's behalf)
- discussion; debate; argument
- lecturer; rhetorician; orator; / narrator in Japanese silent cinema; film interpreter
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.