- that (indicating something distant from both speaker and listener (in space, time or psychologically), or something understood without naming it directly) ➜ 何れ・此れ・其れ
- that person (used to refer to one's equals or inferiors)
- over there - archaism
- down there (i.e. one's genitals) ［あれ］ - colloquialism
- period; menses ［あれ］ - colloquialism
- hey (expression of surprise, suspicion, etc.); huh?; eh?
- that (something mentioned before which is distant psychologically or in terms of time)
© Based on JMdict, KANJIDIC2, and JMnedict, property of the Electronic Dictionary Research and Development Group, used in conformance with the Group's licence. Example sentences from the Tatoeba project (CC BY 2.0). Kanji stroke order data from the KanjiVG project by Ulrich Apel (CC BY-SA 3.0). See comprehensive list of data sources for more info.